- Eph 4:11-12 He (God) gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints…
To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- This is not a statement about HOW they became faithful saints (their being predestined to salvation)
- This is a statement about HOW God has provided for salvation and WHERE this provision is found
- Notice, they are "...faithful IN CHRIST JESUS..."
- Where is this blessing? IN CHRIST
4 just as He chose us in Him...
- It's not that people are chosen (predestined) to be in Him
- Remember, he is talking about "faithful saints" and what is true of "faithful saints"
- It's that those who are IN HIM are chosen - how one gets in Him is not the point
- When did God decide that He would choose those who are IN HIM - when did God decide that He would bless us IN HIM?
In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
- Paul's NOT saying that God predestined WHO would be adopted, Paul is saying that God predetermined HOW we would be adopted
- God predetermined that "faithful saints" ("us" in the text) would be adopted THROUGH JESUS CHRIST
- AN IMPORTANT REMINDER: This must be view in light of the Jew / Gentile controversy - it has been predetermined by God that both Jew and Gentile receive blessing and adoption THROUGH JESUS CHRIST (Ep.2:13, 14, 18)
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace...
...which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
- The Good News is NOT that some have been predestined to be saved and others have not
- Why or how did any of this take place or become a reality?
9 He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed IN HIM 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things IN CHRIST, things in the heavens and things on the earth.
12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed,
- This is the consistent message of Scripture
- Paul's point is NOT that some were predestined to believe
- Paul's point IS that anyone (Jew or Gentile) that enters into Christ by faith (belief) is adopted, redeemed, forgiven and blessed
- This is reference to the seal a King would put on a document to validate that it is of him, to authenticate that his authority is associated with it - a pledge of authenticity to encourage confidence