Saturday, March 05, 2011

GIANTS IN THE LAND: Writing About What I Am Going to be Writing About

A few preliminary remarks. There are many reasons why people engage in “intellectual” discourse. My interest is in advancing the kingdom of God. I make no apology for that. I might not be very effective, but that’s my goal.

I recognize Scripture as revelation from the Creator that is intended to provide the human race with accurate information about Him, His kingdom, man, His purposes for man, love, sin, redemption, etc. I, as well, recognize that there are challenges related to interpreting Scripture but reject the spirit of movements such as deconstructionism, which attempt to attack truth at a root level. Along with this, I must say that I make no claim whatsoever and have no delusions about being among the ranks of academia. Though I am not a scholar, I am impressed with, greatly appreciate and make use of good scholarship.

I undertake this series of entries out of concern that when certain ideological threads are woven into a Christian worldview, they diminish the prospect of advancing the kingdom of God. In a book entitled Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity, Nancy Pearcey states, “God is not just the Savior of souls, He is also the Lord of creation. One way we acknowledge His Lordship is by interpreting every aspect of creation in the light of His truth. God’s word becomes a set of glasses offering a new perspective on all our thoughts and actions.” This is one quote among many that could be drawn from a wide variety of sources to emphasize that God is concerned about every aspect and dimension of life on planet earth. Saving individual souls is important but so is transforming society.

The well-worn topic of postmodernism will be the focus of early entries. However, I will, in conjunction with this topic offer preliminary thoughts about the issue of determinism and indeterminism, determinism and human freedom. I see this issue to be central to many ideological and theological structures, not only in the discussion of postmodernism. Though we will seek to gain understanding about various ideologies, this is not an end, in and of itself. My goal is to probe how such ideologies challenge the development of a Biblical worldview. I have observed that many people embrace certain counterproductive, if not destructive, ideas in a rather naïve manner while others knowingly imbibe such views. Both have negative results.

“Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless, and leads to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. But avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene.” (2 Ti.2:14-17, NASB)

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." (2 Ti.3:16-17, NASB)

No comments: