Monday, February 14, 2011

Slaying Giants - Entry 9

Using the historical account recorded in 1 Samuel 17 as a metaphor for the cultural battles raging in the nations we next read, “…David said to Saul, ‘Let no man’s heart fail on account of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine.’”

David appears to be the most unexpected character to step forth in this manner. Notice, while this account states, on a number of occasions, that the army responded in fear, we read that David responded by saying, “…who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should taunt the armies of the living God?” This has something to do with perspective, the way one screens what one observes. David allowed his concern for God’s reputation and the reputation of His people to set the stage. In the ever present ideological battle that shapes significant dimensions of the world in which we live, we need to learn from David. Too often we allow fear or the question, “who am I?” to set the stage for our approach. In the eyes of those in this account, David was no one. When David’s brother heard of David’s response we read, “…Eliab’s anger burned against David”. Saul responded by saying, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are but a youth while he has been a warrior from his youth.” These are not the eyes with which we should be concerned. Rather, we should realize that, “…the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.” (2 Chron.16:9) I am not suggesting that we go forth thoughtlessly or unprepared, but we should not allow the above thoughts to prevent us from becoming equipped to engage the "giants".

"Who will rise up for me against the wicked? Who will take a stand for me against evildoers? Unless the LORD had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." (Psalm 94:16-19, NIV)

No comments: